ADAIR, Iowa - Torrential downpours and lightning swept through Iowa and northwest Illinois Tuesday morning bringing blustery winds that flipped four semi-trucks on Interstate 80.
The semis tipped over near the 80-mile marker by the Adair rest stop on I-80, according to an Iowa State Patrol Facebook post.
Minor injuries were reported. The photos were posted just before 8 a.m. on August 20.
The National Weather Service — Quad Cities reported wind gusts of up to 70 mph across southeast Iowa just after the photos were posted. Earlier in the morning, 40 mph winds were reported moving into Des Moines and Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
Several local storm reports on the NWS website indicated multiple trees, branches and power poles were also down in Des Moines County.
- Trump attacks whistleblower in now-removed tweetstorm
- President Trump: ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead
- South African cyclist injured in scuffle with park rangers
- Elon Musk says Las Vegas tunnel hopefully will be operating by 2020
- At least 5 people died in small plane crash near Louisiana airport
- Thai Navy SEAL dies from infection he contracted during cave rescue
- Federal judge denies bid to undo Georgia voter purge
- Trans activist killed in Toronto