President Donald Trump now says he will wait to give the State of the Union address after the partial government shutdown comes to an end.
In tweets Wednesday night, Trump said "I will do the Address when the Shutdown is over. I am not looking for an alternative venue for the SOTU Address because there is no venue that can compete with the history, tradition and importance of the House Chamber."
He also said that House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's decision to withdraw an invitation to deliver the address until the shutdown is over is "her prerogative."
Pelosi later responded with her own tweet, saying, "Mr. President, I hope by saying 'near future' you mean you will support the House-passed package to #EndTheShutdown that the Senate will vote on tomorrow. Please accept this proposal so we can re-open government, repay our federal workers and then negotiate our differences."
Earlier Wednesday, CNN reported that White House officials were caught off guard when Pelosi formally disinvited the president from giving the address from the House chamber.
The report also said the White House was exploring alternative venues, including the possibility of Trump delivering an address at a campaign-style rally, but were hesitant to do so because it lacked the formality of a traditional State of the Union address.
The Senate is set to vote Thursday on dueling proposals to end the shutdown, which will reach 34 days on Thursday. The Republican proposal is based off Trump's own proposal presented in a speech Saturday, while the Democratic proposal is one that was passed by the House.
White House officials expect both proposals will fail, but hope a compromise can be reached afterward, CNN reported.
- Trump attacks whistleblower in now-removed tweetstorm
- President Trump: ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead
- South African cyclist injured in scuffle with park rangers
- Elon Musk says Las Vegas tunnel hopefully will be operating by 2020
- At least 5 people died in small plane crash near Louisiana airport
- Thai Navy SEAL dies from infection he contracted during cave rescue
- Federal judge denies bid to undo Georgia voter purge
- Trans activist killed in Toronto