With a gold medal within her grasp in what's likely her last Olympic event, Lindsey Vonn skied off the course Thursday in the slalom portion of the women's Alpine combined.
Fellow American Mikaela Shiffrin won silver in the event, with Switzerland's Michelle Gisin taking gold.
Another Swiss skier, Wendy Holdener, took bronze in the event, which combines each skier's times in first a downhill run and then a slalom run to determine the winners.
Earlier in what she has said is her final Olympics, the Vonn won bronze in the downhill event to go with the downhill gold and super-G bronze she won at the 2010 Olympics.
The 33-year-old American skiing star, who missed the Sochi Olympics while recovering from a knee injury, is a seven-time medalist at the world championships and has a total of 81 World Cup circuit victories in her career, including four during the current season.
Vonn was sitting in the lead after the downhill portion Thursday while Shiffrin was in sixth place.
However, 22-year-old Vail, Colorado, native shone with her slalom run, which is considered her signature event, to jump up the standings.
Shiffrin won gold in the giant slalom earlier in PyeongChang to go with the slalom gold she won four years ago in Sochi. She was unable to defend that Olympic slalom title, finishing fourth during these Games.
A three-time world champion in the slalom, Shiffrin is also the reigning World Cup overall and slalom champion and a four-time winner of the World Cup discipline title in that event.
Shiffrin has 10 wins on the current World Cup season to bring her career total to 41. And she once again sits atop both the overall and slalom standings going into the Olympics.
- Trump attacks whistleblower in now-removed tweetstorm
- President Trump: ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead
- South African cyclist injured in scuffle with park rangers
- Elon Musk says Las Vegas tunnel hopefully will be operating by 2020
- At least 5 people died in small plane crash near Louisiana airport
- Thai Navy SEAL dies from infection he contracted during cave rescue
- Federal judge denies bid to undo Georgia voter purge
- Trans activist killed in Toronto