(CNN) - Organizers of Paris 2024 have proposed that breakdancing should be included as a new sport in the Olympic program.
It's one of four sports suggested for inclusion in the Games -- alongside surfing, climbing and skateboarding.
The sports must now await final approval from the International Olympic Committee (IOC), which has until December 2020 to make a final decision.
An IOC spokesperson told CNN that the committee was pleased with the proposal as it was in line with its aim of rejuvenating the Olympics.
"We are pleased to see that Paris 2024's proposal for new sports to the Olympic programme is very much in line with the reforms of Olympic Agenda 2020, which is striving to make the Olympic programme gender-balanced, more youth-focused and more urban," an IOC statement read.
Breakdancing debuted in the 2018 Youth Olympics in Buenos Aires, Argentina, but has yet to be included in the full senior program.
The young participants competed under nicknames, with Russia's b-boy Bumblebee taking home the men's gold medal.
"Urban sport, universal and popular with more than one million B-Boys and B-Girls in France, we propose to bring breakdance and its famous battles to the games," read a tweet from Paris 2024.
Meanwhile, surfing, sport climbing and skateboarding are all set to make their Olympic debut at Tokyo 2020 as additional events.
Squash, snooker and chess had also launched public bids for inclusion in Paris 2024 Olympic Games but will be disappointed by the announcement Thursday.
- Una persona murió y otras 7 resultaron heridas en un tiroteo durante una fiesta de graduación en
- Argentina official: Cyber attack did not cause massive blackout
- Bella Thorne difunde en Twitter fotos en las que aparece desnuda; un hacker la había amenazado con
- Organizers say 2 million turn out to protest in Hong Kong
- Injuries from cosmetics send 4,300 children to ERs every year