(CNN) - Ford had promised the Mustang Shelby GT500 would be its most powerful factory-built car ever. Now we know how powerful.
The 2020 model of the car, set to go on sale this fall, will have a 760 horsepower V8 engine "making it the most powerful street-legal Ford ever," the automaker said in an announcement. "Enough said."
That engine will allow the GT500 to go from 0 to 60 in about 3.5 seconds, according to Ford.
Ford hasn't yet said how much the new GT500 will cost. The most powerful version of the Mustang Ford currently produces is the Shelby GT350 which has a 562 horsepower engine. Prices for that car start at about $59,000.
Ford has a complicated but fruitful relationship with the Las Vegas-based Shelby American company. Shelby Mustangs were originally made by Shelby using Mustangs supplied by Ford as a starting point. Shelby still does these sort of performance conversions.
In fact, there are already Shelby Mustangs, such as the Shelby-produced Super Snake, with more horsepower than any produced by Ford. The new GT500, though, will be the most powerful ever produced by Ford itself.
Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly reported the starting price for Ford Mustangs and the horsepower of the GT350.
- Debt, hurricanes, texting: Puerto Rico's troubles explained
- Wildfire burns nearly 7,000 acres near Prescott National Forest
- Un hombre de Corea del Sur se prende fuego afuera de la embajada japonesa en Seúl
- Feds arrest former top officials at company that distributed opioids
- US transports alleged American ISIS fighter from Syria to face trial