(CNN) - Ford had promised the Mustang Shelby GT500 would be its most powerful factory-built car ever. Now we know how powerful.
The 2020 model of the car, set to go on sale this fall, will have a 760 horsepower V8 engine "making it the most powerful street-legal Ford ever," the automaker said in an announcement. "Enough said."
That engine will allow the GT500 to go from 0 to 60 in about 3.5 seconds, according to Ford.
Ford hasn't yet said how much the new GT500 will cost. The most powerful version of the Mustang Ford currently produces is the Shelby GT350 which has a 562 horsepower engine. Prices for that car start at about $59,000.
Ford has a complicated but fruitful relationship with the Las Vegas-based Shelby American company. Shelby Mustangs were originally made by Shelby using Mustangs supplied by Ford as a starting point. Shelby still does these sort of performance conversions.
In fact, there are already Shelby Mustangs, such as the Shelby-produced Super Snake, with more horsepower than any produced by Ford. The new GT500, though, will be the most powerful ever produced by Ford itself.
Correction: An earlier version of this story incorrectly reported the starting price for Ford Mustangs and the horsepower of the GT350.
- What House investigators have learned from Ukraine interviews
- Japan to pardon 550,000 criminals to mark new emperor's enthronement
- Saturday's Brexit vote appears too close to call
- Mattis laughs off Trump criticism
- Deported man reentered US, now charged with murder
- NYC EMT had stroke on job, colleague who tried to help had aneurysm
- Son of Mexican drug lord 'El Chapo' Guzman at center of shootout
- China's economic growth plunges to lowest level since 1992