(CNN) - The cause of death for rapper and singer Juice WRLD is still pending following an autopsy.
The Cook County Medical Examiner's Office announced in a statement Monday that additional studies are required to establish the cause and manner of death of the 21-year-old recording artist.
Juice, whose given name was Jarad Anthony Higgins, suffered a medical emergency on Sunday after he arrived at Chicago's Midway International Airport. He was taken to a nearby hospital where he subsequently died.
Already a star with a promising recording career, Juice WRLD was the most streamed, liked and reposted artist of 2018, according to SoundCloud. He raked up a huge following with hits like "Lucid Dreams" and "All Girls Are the Same," and he was named top new artist at the Billboard Music Awards in May.
Tributes to the late performer have been posted by fellow artists and fans, including Drake, Lil Nas X, Ellie Goulding, who collaborated with Juice on the song, "Hate Me."
- Trump attacks whistleblower in now-removed tweetstorm
- President Trump: ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead
- South African cyclist injured in scuffle with park rangers
- Elon Musk says Las Vegas tunnel hopefully will be operating by 2020
- At least 5 people died in small plane crash near Louisiana airport
- Thai Navy SEAL dies from infection he contracted during cave rescue
- Federal judge denies bid to undo Georgia voter purge
- Trans activist killed in Toronto