(CNN) - Liam Payne and former "X Factor U.K." judge Cheryl are going in separate directions.
The former One Direction member and Cheryl, a former member of singing group Girls Aloud, made the announcement on their social media pages on Sunday.
"Cheryl and I are sad to announce that we are going our separate ways," Payne, 24, wrote in a statement posted to his official Twitter account. "It's been a tough decision for us to make. We still have so much love for each other as a family."
Cheryl, 35, who has also gone by the names Cheryl Cole and Cheryl Fernandez-Versini during previous marriages, posted an almost identical statement on her social media.
They share one child together, Bear, who was born in March 2017.
At the time of the child's birth, Cheryl posted a photo of Payne cuddling their newborn, adding in the caption, "We are all madly in love and overwhelmingly happy with our little arrival."
Payne made reference to their son in his statement, adding: "Bear is our world and we ask that you respect his privacy as we navigate our way through this together."
- WSJ: Trump pressured Ukraine's President to investigate Biden's son
- Hundreds of Amazon workers walk out to protest climate change inaction
- Deal could allow US to send some asylum seekers back to El Salvador
- Antonio Brown released by the Patriots
- Pelosi calls for law to be able to indict presidents
- Calif., NY sue to block admin on auto emission rules
- At least 4 killed in tour bus crash in Utah
- Trudeau poses for selfies, hugs supporters amid blackface scandal