(CNN) - Liam Payne and former "X Factor U.K." judge Cheryl are going in separate directions.
The former One Direction member and Cheryl, a former member of singing group Girls Aloud, made the announcement on their social media pages on Sunday.
"Cheryl and I are sad to announce that we are going our separate ways," Payne, 24, wrote in a statement posted to his official Twitter account. "It's been a tough decision for us to make. We still have so much love for each other as a family."
Cheryl, 35, who has also gone by the names Cheryl Cole and Cheryl Fernandez-Versini during previous marriages, posted an almost identical statement on her social media.
They share one child together, Bear, who was born in March 2017.
At the time of the child's birth, Cheryl posted a photo of Payne cuddling their newborn, adding in the caption, "We are all madly in love and overwhelmingly happy with our little arrival."
Payne made reference to their son in his statement, adding: "Bear is our world and we ask that you respect his privacy as we navigate our way through this together."
- Buttigieg fends off questions on experience following surge in polls
- President Trump: ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead
- CNN to air December PBS Democratic presidential debate live
- Prosecutors subpoena Trump fundraisers in Giuliani investigation
- Graham: Report on FBI's handling of Russia probe to be released Dec. 9
- Volunteer worker who aided migrants acquitted of harboring charges
- Billboards demand US government stop detaining migrant children
- Fiona Hill, Trump's former top Russia adviser, wrote the book on Putin