(CNN) - It was a fierce competition, but in the end the winner skated away with the Mirrorball trophy.
Figure skater Adam Rippon and his dance partner Jenna Johnson won "Dancing with The Stars: Athletes" on Monday night.
The Olympic medalist and Johnson competed against former figure skater Tonya Harding and her partner Sasha Farber, and NFL player Josh Norman and his partner Sharna Burgess in the finale.
It was Johnson's first win after being on the show for two seasons.
Before an impressive freestyle performance, Rippon spoke in a video about what the competition has meant to him as the first openly gay Winter Olympian for Team USA.
"Winning the Mirrorball now has taken on a whole new meaning," he said. "I never thought somebody like me would be accepted, but I really feel love. That's why I'm so excited for what we have in store."
In addition to competing in the show, Rippon had also been participating in the "Stars On Ice" tour. He is the first male figure skater to win "Dancing With the Stars."
- Nissan to oust Carlos Ghosn after finding 'significant acts of misconduct'
- Scientists finally discover why wombat poop is cubed
- One-third of US parents plan to skip flu shots for their kids
- Mickey Mouse fans wait 11 hours to meet him in Japan
- Chris Watts to be sentenced in killing of daughters, pregnant wife