(CNN) - Netflix's dark teen drama "13 Reasons Why" will end after Season 4.
The announcement came on the same day the streaming service unveiled the trailer for the show's third season, which will premiere later this month.
The new season picks up eight months after the previous season concluded and centers on the mysterious death of a teen character named Bryce Walker.
Netflix did not say when the fourth and final season was scheduled to be released or provide an episode count.
The third season will be released on Aug. 23.
"13 Reasons Why" is based on the young adult book of the same name by Jay Asher about a teen girl who leaves behind 13 audio recordings on cassette tapes after killing herself.
The show's treatment of teen suicide has been under scrutiny since its start but made headlines once again earlier this month when one study linked the show to a spike in suicide deaths among boys ages 10 to 17.
The study's findings led Netflix to remove a graphic suicide scene from the first season, two years after it was initially released.
Dr. Edith Bracho-Sanchez and Amir Vera contributed to this report.
- Trump attacks whistleblower in now-removed tweetstorm
- President Trump: ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi is dead
- South African cyclist injured in scuffle with park rangers
- Elon Musk says Las Vegas tunnel hopefully will be operating by 2020
- At least 5 people died in small plane crash near Louisiana airport
- Thai Navy SEAL dies from infection he contracted during cave rescue
- Federal judge denies bid to undo Georgia voter purge
- Trans activist killed in Toronto